Friday 20 April 2007

Am I A Girl?

So, last night was The Sound of Music.

I really detest the film. I mean, I really do. It's just a load of puke-inducing twee tripe, so my expectations weren't high for the show. I knew Gillian would really enjoy it, and a night at the theatre tends to normally be a nice experience, but I was sceptical.

But, you know what? I really enjoyed it. It's much better than the film (it's shorter, for a start), and maybe just being with lots of other people watching it, being part of the shared experience, it was really very good. Connie (who won that TV thing) was excellent, as were all the cast really. The children were great. Not bad really, coming from someone who agreed with the comedian who said the The Sound of Music was the only time in his life he "found himself cheering for the Nazis".

Don't get me wrong - you still won't get me in front of the film, but I did enjoy the show. And I do hope that doesn't mean I'm any less of a man. One of the most amazing things to me was the sets and how they turn one scene into another. How do all the bits of flying scenery not bump into one another? Or one of the Von Trapp children?

So, there you are. Surprise, surprise - I had a good time! Those of your following my sleep patterns will be pleased to know last night wasn't quite as bad, so I'm feeling like less of a zombie today. I don't think it will last.

Whoever came up with phrase "sleeping like a baby" obviously never had one. Or was deaf.

No comments: