Wednesday 16 May 2007

What the...?

Today I discovered something rather interesting. Interesting, but pointless.

Whilst looking for something else, I came upon something that I had been given a long time ago. It had been buried amongst a myriad of stuff on my desk and forgotten about. I recall being mildly diverted by it at the time, but dismissing it pretty quickly.

I am referring to a bizarre substance known as Rescue Remedy. In fact, now I think of it, I believe that I may have heard some radio commercials for it. Something about someone getting stressed in a supermarket, if memory serves. The idea of it is that it calms you down when things are getting on top of you. All it does is produce a taste in your mouth that is roughly akin to what I imagine it would be like to like the inside of a tramps mouth.

Here's what it says on the box:

Bach Rescue Remedy Spray provides support at times of emotional demand such as before a driving test or interview, exam or flight, or when you simply need a little help.

Essentially, you spray it on your tongue in times of stress and it helps you feel better. It tastes very vaguely alcoholic, not terribly nice, and really just encourages you to throw the box angrily to the ground, whilst shouting "I paid how much for this useful piece of junk!". Not very relaxing really.

I've not idea why I have it, and I can't remember who gave it to me. It's been years since I had a driving test or interview. I haven't done any exams since my A Levels, and I've not even been on a plane for a couple of years. That means someone obviously thought I "needed a little help". Fine. If you think I need help, do my washing, don't give me watered down alcohol in a small spray.

So, my advice to you would be to steer fairly clear of it all. If you're stressed, kick something (note - not someone). Preferably the spray, out of the window.

No comments: