Tuesday 27 March 2007

Meetings!

Meetings.

Meetings. Meetings. Meetings.

Meetings. Meetings. Meetings. Meetings. Meetings.

I think you get the picture.

Oh - I just typed the word "meetings" so many times, it's beginning to look a bit odd. Ever had that?

Anyway, meetings.

I spend quite a lot of my time in them, for various reasons, and during the course of most of them (and I'm talking about work here) I spend the entire duration wondering when I'll actually be able to do some work.

Now, I realise that's the wrong attitude. Work meetings are work, and I know that, but I can't help wishing that I was back at my desk getting through the lengthening to-do list in my diary. The irony being, of course, that most of these meetings end up with me needing to add extra things to my to-do list. But now, I've got less time to do them, because I spent all the time in the meeting.

Sometimes, I chair them. And I still end up with more to do. Surely the fun in chairing a meeting lies with being able to delegate everything. Maybe I'm just not very good at them. Man.

A further layer of irony is added when you consider that the only meetings I enjoy are those where you spend most of the time messing around (these are rare) and therefore get very little meeting-based work done. These are largely more "creative", "brainstorming"-type meetings. I'm not sure you're supposed to say "brainstorm" anymore - something to do with political correctness, and offending people who...erm, actually I don't know. People who've got a meterological phenomenon occuring in their head? I can't think of any of those.

I'd stay and chat for longer but I've got to go to a....you get the picture.

No comments: