Wednesday 28 February 2007

Can You Lend Me A Fiver?

Today is a bad day.

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with today. Perhaps I should say, it's a bad day for me.

It's that moment in the year that we all dread. At least, if we're motorists.

Yes. Today the car is having it's MOT done.

Even though I pleaded with my Vauxhall Astra as I left for work this morning, that it should revise carefully and pass it's test, this morning I received a call from the "garage man". It went something like this...

Garage Man: "There's just a few things we're gonna need to do"

Me: "Erm, OK"

"Well, your wiper blades are split"

"Oh, well that's not too..."

"Your handbrake needs tightening"

"Erm, right, well..."

"Both your front tyres are worn"

"Ah, erm..."

"And your brake pads are 80% worn"

"(noise indistinguishable from beneath the whimpering)".

So, it looks like being a pricey day. All donations are welcome, although I entirely understand if you feel there are more worthy causes in the world to contribute towards, instead of keeping Dave's car on the road.

Still, it could be worse. The exhaust could be rusting.

Oh, yeah. He rang back later. The exhaust's also rusting.

But all this MOT business has achieved one thing that I never thought possible.

It's made the congestion charge look cheap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember my last mot there was something wrong in the engine not sure what (technical) I was a bit nervouse about it so I got a second opinion and they said the same I was devistated. I decided to save money by going to my local breakers yard to grt my Vauxhall engine parts. Fingers crossed the next one will be better.