Wednesday 14 February 2007

Happy Valentines Day

I do hope that the postman was struggling to get to your door this morning, under the weight of all the post coming your way. As is traditional with married couples, I gave and received one card and present. The fair Gillian received a card from me, with an "I heart U" cuddly toy, and I received a card from her and a book I've wanted for ages. Allow me a few days to read it, and I shall, no doubt, pass on my thoughts.

I always find it difficult to come up with new ideas for Valentines Day. Romatic offerings do not really come very easily to me. Interestingly, the highlight of my day today has been nothing to do with my own valentines gifts, and everything to do with someone elses.

A colleague at my work (who shall remain nameless. You will see why.) was informing us this afternoon about the romantic (and frankly, incredibly creative) present that he joyously passed onto his lovely wife this morning. He made it himself, he said.

Wow, we thought. What magical, romantic gift has he spent many months crafting in his shed to pass on to the love of his life? What material offering could possibly communicate the love he holds for his dearest.

Answer? A pen holder.

Yep. A pen holder. A desk tidy, if you will. Made of toilet rolls.

He even informed us, as we rolled around on the floor in tears of hysteria, that "it looks rustic". In other words, he didn't even bother to paint it.

I should point out, for the sake of fairness, that his wife is doing a copy-editing course, so stationary is obviously something that is very important to her at this time in her life.

So there we are. Romance isn't dead. But it is tidy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd just like to say, as the lucky lady in question, thanks very much to my lovely husband for the thought and effort that went into the masterpiece - it sounds to me like he didn't do it justice in the retelling!!