Tuesday 20 February 2007

Toss It!

Ah, pancakes.

A simple concoction of flour, milk and eggs, whisked together and fried. Who's have guessed that the tradition pre-lent snack would cause so much excitement in our nation. We must get out more.

I like pancakes. I really do. I'm a traditionalist at heart, so it's the simple lemon and sugar for me. My wife likes golden syrup. Different strokes, I suppose. We had some in the office today, but because we haven't got anywhere to fry them, we had the microwave ones. They weren't the same, of course, but they weren't bad. And the lemon and sugar was in abundance, so all was well.

And when I go home tonight, we shall have a minimal dinner to leave maximum room for more fried batter covered in calories. I shall probably have the annual attempt to toss said pancake in my frying pan, but will end up scraping it off the floor, before my very-nearly-one-year-old-daughter crawls over and attempts to play with it.

So, if you're enjoying pancakes today, revel in the joy that they are about the most simple thing to make, but bring the most joy. Probably because most of us only really have them once a year.

But the most amazing thing about pancakes? Put the batter in a hot dish in the oven, and it'll turn into a yorkshire pudding!

Wonders will never cease.

No comments: