Thursday 8 February 2007

Snow Breaks Everything!

You will not have failed to notice, if you are resident in the UK, that today it has snowed. A lot.

Opinions vary enormously as to whether or not this is a good thing. There are some people I could name who are loving the snow. These people are, of course, largely made up of children whose school has been closed. There are many people who detest the fact that the white stuff has descended. These are largely the parents of the aforementioned children.

It also causes chaos if you have to travel any distance. My wife didn't get into work today, but I must congratulate London Underground (yes, you read that correctly) for getting me into work in a time not too far removed from what it would normally take.

I was sitting at my desk, revelling in the fact that I'd made it in so easily, when a colleague of mine (who shall remain nameless) walked in. Actually, he more like stomped in, mumbling grumpily under his breath about the snow.

He hadn't been so fortunate in being unaffected by the weather. His train was delayed, but it wasn't the delays that bothered him - that was relatively understandable. What really riled him was the fact that the station indicator board (which was entirely undercover) had entirely died leaving him completely devoid of information. How on earth did the snow do that? I also believe that the BBC weather website went down for short period today due, I'm sure, to millions of people wanting to know if it was worth stepping outside their front door.

Another colleague had no buses on the way in, a power failure at the station when he eventually arrived. All after having had root canal treatment yesterday.

And so the snow has broken, at the very least, many train lines, indicator board, and the BBC. Although it is perhaps unfair to blame it for the root canal treatment.

I stubbed my toe this morning. I bet that was the snow as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know which colleague that was, but i'll keep my lips sealed!! ;-)

Let it snow!
Maria
www.inhishands.co.uk